Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:20:41 -0500, wrote:
-snip-

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

When unleaded first became available we used it in our Coleman with no
ill effects for a few years. Then I bought the handy gadget that
converted it to propane.

Cheaper- easier- and likely safer. The downsides tot he conversion
were lower temp on the burners-- and a little more bulk to the propane
tanks for a week of camping vs a gallon of unleaded.

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

http://www.campmor.com/century-propa...sion-kit.shtml

I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
-- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
one.

Jim