Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner Question

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 05:10:02 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

On Jun 12, 7:51Â*am, Dottie wrote:
On Jun 11, 1:53Â*pm, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 08:27:55 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
On Jun 11, 7:57Â*am, Dottie wrote:
My air conditioner is a Trane. Â*It was installed in August 2007 and we
have had a routine maint. Â*service call every year - no problems until
now. Â*It stopped working sometime Saturday P.M. Â*I noticed that it was
running constantly but the house was warm -- Â*so I cut it off. Â*A man
came yesterday afternoon and the problem is in the part that sits
indoors (as opposed to the compressor which is outside). Â*It will cost
$1200 to fix....parts and labor. Â*The temp here was 94 in the house
with the windows opened - and I'm not brave enough to have them open
at night. Â*Anyway, we only paid a little over $5,000 for the a/c when
new. Â*The service dept is going to call me today and set a time to
come out and work on it - providing they can get the part without a
problem. Â*Question -- when is it more economically smarter to just buy
a new a/c and not try to fix the old one. Â*The part (I was shown) is a
copper part that looks o.k. - it just stopped regulating the freon).
One thing that did tick me off -- the service man who came out was
more interested in selling me a service agreement that would take a
discount off future service calls and parts and include routine
checkups. Â*I have no idea if I will stay here (recent widow) after the
market improves but I am thinking about trying to get smaller place,
less upkeep, and really don't want a three year service agreement.
Just wondering what you'll thought.

The inside unit assembly is called the A-Coil, the outside unit is the
compressor. Â*A replacement A-coil assembly and labor to install it and
then to recharge the system with new Freon for $1200 does not seem out
of line. Â*Ask the installer to leave the old A-Coil. Â*At the price of
copper these days, you might make some serious $$ if you try to sell
it yourself as scrap metal.

Â* If it is just a bad TXV about $650 and a competent repairman should
do the job. No need to replace the whole "A" coil for a bad TXV -
which should have a 5 year warranty from Trane, meaning you should
have 3 month's warranty left.

The valve that controls the freon is the problem. Â*The company I
bought it from and use for service - said there was a problem finding
the part. Â*Anyway, the price for part and labor is going to be $1104.
Nothing was said about warranty. Â*I did not buy an extended warranty
-- but I know that certain parts are covered by a 10-yr. warranty. Â*I
checked the original contract and the date is Nov. 5, 2007. Â*The girl
I talked to didn't mention the warranty so I assumed it wasn't covered
-- should I call back and ask? Â*The last two times I have had dealings
with these people they were far more interested in selling me a
service agreement contract than in fixing the a/c. Â*I am sure I am at
the bottom of the list since I told them I didn't want an extended
service agreement.

I called the girl back and she said that because I did not buy an
extended warranty from Trane the part is not covered by the original
agreement. And the new part will not come with a warranty either. At
this point I am sitting here in 90 degree weather wondering if I am
about to make an expensive mistake. That seems like a lot to spend on
something that may or may not work.

Call Trane and ask them about the warranty. Sounds to me like
there's some friggin' in the riggin'.