Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Average Cost For New Garage Roof??

On Jun 12, 10:43*am, HerHusband wrote:
That's approx 3 squa
10 sheets plywood $150
10 bundles shingles $150
Tar paper, nails etc *$100
Do one side at a time, 2 days work max

10 sheets plywood $150 whens the last time you priced plywood?

Mark's estimates weren't too far off, given the limited information
available.

Michelle described the shed as 16'x19'. We don't know the roof pitch, or
the overhangs, but let's assume a gable roof with a typical 6/12 pitch.

6/12 pitch over an 8' span (half the building width) would work out to a
4' rise at the peak. Using Pythagoreans theorem, take 8' squared + 4'
squared, then find the square root for 8.9'. Let's round that to 10' since
we don't know the overhang. I'll also round up the length to 20' since we
don't know the overhang on the ends.

That's 10'x20' feet or 200 sq/feet for each side of the roof, or 400 square
feet for the entire roof. Using my local Home Depot prices that works out
to:

13 sheets plywood ($17.50 for 15/32 CDX, or $10.37 for 7/16 OSB) - $227.50
12 bundles 3-tab shingles ($27 bundle, 3 bundles per square) - $324
1 Roll 15# roofing felt - $21

Round that up to account for nails and other extras the total is
approximately $600. *Of course, this assumes Michelle has the tools and
skills to do the work herself. If she has to pay someone to do the work,
she's probably looking at least twice that amount, not counting any
additional labor costs to demo the original roof.

Of course, this is all meaningless if the underlying structure is rotten.
No way to know for sure till the roofing and sheathing are removed, but rot
sounds very likely based on Michelle's original description.

Anthony

"Mark's estimates weren't too far off, given the limited
information available."

You estimated $600, Mark estimated $400.

That's a 50% increase, which many would consider "far off".

I know we're all just tossing out numbers based on very limited
information, but I think even your numbers are way low.

The cost for sheathing around here is a bit higher than your numbers,
but let's run with yours.

You added ~$27 for extras.

That $27 is going to be eaten up by at least half for drip edge alone
and that's based on the cheap stuff. There's not a lot of room left
for nails, blades, etc. After that there's no room left for tax.

What is the OP going to do with the old roofing material? Probably
going to need a dumpster, don't you think?

As has been said 1000+ times in this group, trying to to get even ball
park figures for these types of jobs over the internet is folly at
best.

Actual on-site estimates are free. The OP should just pick up the
phone, make some calls (at least 3) and get actual numbers based on
her actual needs in her actual location. I'd be willing to bet that
entire $600 that the actual cost of the entire job - without labor -
will be at least 50% more than the $600 when all is said and done.

Rough guess: Double that if the OP is paying for labor.