Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

On Jun 11, 7:06*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:25:34 -0400, George
wrote:

On 6/11/2012 12:53 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 06:16:06 -0700 (PDT), "
*wrote:

If pulling a meter is so dangerous, going to cause
an arc over, etc. you would think there would be
dead utility workers all over the place. *They pull
them every day. *Exactly what is going to be so
special about their method as opposed to a fire
fighter doing it?

The guys doing the meter swaps are doing several dozen a day ... hot.
No PPE, nothing. They just cut the seal, pop out the old one and pop
in the new one in shorts and a t shirt.

Except our rather large utility spends an extra 30 seconds and slips on
two bypass jumpers.

Nothing like that here. I walked with the guy as he did two neighbors
after doing my house. There is no internal bypass in any meter can I
have inspected (residential or commercial) I have also never seen
these jumpers you are talking about. Where do they connect?
The jaws are fairly well hidden by the meter.- Hide quoted text -

Same here in NJ. I've seen meters swapped exactly
as you say. Pull old one out, put new one in. At least
for residential service. Even the maker of the meter
box George points to says the tabs are there to allow
for the option of not interrupting the service. You'd
think if they were critical to preventing some fatal
arc-over, they would say so.