Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Grotty "digital" sound

This exchange is typical for this and other groups. Yes, it's //always//
right to start with simple suggestions (as I requested for my recent VCR
problems).

But ultimately, you have start getting down and dirty. Western society is
modeled (in part) on Greek culture, but unlike the Greeks, we are not
content to theorize about problems -- only "doing" will solve them. I urge
Mr Cook to ask the pub owner to let him troubleshoot the system. If the
owner won't let him -- then (other than theoretical curiosity) what is the
point of discussing this?

By the way, no one has answered my question about how to remove the
transport board without ripping the VCR to shreds.