Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can a "weed-and-feed" product save a weedy lawn?

On 6/11/2012 3:46 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Let's say a person has a lawn that is 75% grass, 20% a wide variety of
weeds, mostly clover but also dandelions (mostly pulled) and few
different types of broad leaf weeds (mostly pulled) and 5% bare
(mostly because hours were spent pulling patches of dandelions and
broad leaf weeds,

Let's say this lawn is 30' x 50'.

Roughly a postage stamp...

Let's say the owner would like 100% grass, 0% weeds and 0% bare spots.

Can this be done with a "weed-and-feed" product, some overseeding and
diligent watering or does the owner need to start from scratch?

Assuming the grass variety that is there is something desirable, sure.

If the owner needs to start from scratch, can the existing
"everything" be rototilled under or do all of the weeds (and grass?)
have to be killed off first?

No point in that drastic--and it'll still take the same problem getting
fixed that are the problems in the existing...

I might as well mention the soil condition. I'm pretty sure that the
soil could use some work, but the owner is on a very limited budget
and probably can't afford to have 30' x 50' x 3" of top soil brought
in. I can get the soil tested for her so we know what we're up
against.

No point in doing anything until this is done and done for various areas
to check.

The money spent on any product until you have this done is just throwing
money at it w/o any idea whether it will/won't solve the problem.

Find the local County Extension office--they'll have all kinds of advice
and probably access to soil testing as well apropos to the local conditions.

--

I can line up labor from various sources to help the owner out with
tilling, seeding, watering, etc. but asking for actual cash for top

What are her options? Thanks!