Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default low maintenence

On 6/11/2012 7:31 PM, Dave wrote:
On 11 Jun 2012 18:37:48 GMT, Han wrote:
I am seconding cedar. I'm in New Jersey, and 6 years ago I built some
simple wooden benches with cedar bought from Kuiken Brothers. No finishing
whasoever, and they just stayed outside all year round. Picture to follow.

+2

I build a large cedar garden table for a friend about five years ago.
It lives outside and has been experiencing (Toronto, Ontario) winters.
She chose not to have it finished in any way. Aside from turning a
light gray colour, it's still as solid as when I built it.

Hell, I can top that.

I built a "worm box" for a friend out or Western red cedar some 20 years
ago. When I helped her move it a couple of years back, I expected it to
fall apart because it had been filled with dirt and compost for nigh on
18 years ... nay, it was still as solid as the day it was built,
including the bottom.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010