Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reducing a 5/8" shaft

"homesteader824" wrote in message

I have a small honey extractor with a 5/8" shaft that spins. I would
like to turn this directly with an electric drill. I have a 1/2" drill
that I was able to jury rig a pulley to to run it, so I know it has
enough power. Is there any piece of hardware designed to mount on a
shaft and have a smaller shaft coming out of it? I saw something like
what I needed at Grainger's website, but they wanted over $60 for it--a
lot more than I want to spend. It seems there should be a cheaper
solution. I was looking for a more elegant solution than grinding the
shaft down with my dremel tool. BTW, I don't have a welder.

Anybody with a lathe and some drills and taps could make you one.

My grandfather raised bees for many many years, and we spun the combs by
hand with no real effort. He had a good sized two panel extractor. It
never even occurred to us to motorize it. I suppose we might have tired of
it if he had hundreds of hives instead of just a few.