Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

John Grabowski wrote:
. . . . , I am interested in the same question as the
OP
about whether it is okay to put a lock on this outside main cutoff.

*You can go ahead and put padlocks on the outside disconnects as long
as each tenant will receive a key. There are special padlocks that
are made to be cut with a bolt cutter that I have seen on fire
sprinkler valves and fence gates to electrical equipment. The locks
have a notch cut into them making it easier to cut. I think
McMaster-Carr sells them.

Thanks. That's good to know. If I do end up putting locks on, I'll either
get cheap little ones that probably aren't even made with hardened steel or
I'll look for the type that you mentioned via McMaster-Carr etc.