Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 9-story apartment building made of WOOD

Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Mike Marlow" writes:
HerHusband wrote:

2. Utilities. As with a traditional log home, where to you run the
plumbing, electrical, and other services? You would either need to
build a secondary wall on the interior to provide space for these
(negating the advantages of the system), or restrict utilities to
interior walls. I suppose you could use surface mount conduit for
electrical, but that's not a good option for plumbing.

As an owner of a log home, I beg to differ. Agreed - planning is
much more important with a log home due to the nature of the
materials, but utilities can indeed be run within the logs at the
time of building. Not so much after the fact.

Or between the logs before the chinking is applied, depending on the
type of logs being used (150 year old hand-squared logs generally
don't fit very tightly together).

And to that point - I have routed utilities between my log courses, and then
re-chinked afterwards. You'd never know it was done afterwards. Where
there is a will, there is a way. It does take a little creative thinking
and even, a little more work, but not all that much. If one really thinks
about the amount of work required to open up and re-seal a traditional wall,
the difference is not as great as it first may seem.

--

-Mike-