Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Reducing a 5/8" shaft

On Jun 10, 9:58*pm, homesteader824
wrote:
I have a small honey extractor with a 5/8" shaft that spins. *I would
like to turn this directly with an electric drill. *I have a 1/2" drill
that I was able to jury rig a pulley to to run it, so I know it has
enough power. *Is there any piece of hardware designed to mount on a
shaft and have a smaller shaft coming out of it? *I saw something like
what I needed at Grainger's website, but they wanted over $60 for it--a
lot more than I want to spend. *It seems there should be a cheaper
solution. *I was looking for a more elegant solution than grinding the
shaft down with my dremel tool. BTW, I don't have a welder.

--
homesteader824

Many shafts have a center drill spot on the end of the shaft. If the
shaft isn't hardened and your technique is good, you might be able to
use the center spot to drill a hole into the shaft to tap and insert a
bolt or threaded stud.