Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reducing a 5/8" shaft

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Find a friend with a machine shop (or just a lathe), and:

Turn a 1" diameter piece of steel rod down to 1/2" on one side for
about 3/4 of an inch.

Drill the center to 5/8" on the other end.

Drill and tap 3/8" in from the end of the 5/8" side for a set screw
hold the 5/8" shaft.

Ream it to size and you're done in under half an hour.

That's the r.c.m. answer that I would have used.

The zinc plated rod sold in hardware stores doesn't always machine too
well. I get a better finish with unplated 1018 CRS shafting from a
local industrial bearing supply company. Last week a 1" x 36" piece
cost me $18, 3/4" was $10.

jsw