Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reducing a 5/8" shaft

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 02:58:57 +0000, homesteader824
wrote:

I have a small honey extractor with a 5/8" shaft that spins. I would
like to turn this directly with an electric drill. I have a 1/2" drill
that I was able to jury rig a pulley to to run it, so I know it has
enough power. Is there any piece of hardware designed to mount on a
shaft and have a smaller shaft coming out of it? I saw something like
what I needed at Grainger's website, but they wanted over $60 for it--a
lot more than I want to spend. It seems there should be a cheaper
solution. I was looking for a more elegant solution than grinding the
shaft down with my dremel tool. BTW, I don't have a welder.

Find a friend with a machine shop (or just a lathe), and:

Turn a 1" diameter piece of steel rod down to 1/2" on one side for
about 3/4 of an inch.

Drill the center to 5/8" on the other end.

Drill and tap 3/8" in from the end of the 5/8" side for a set screw to
hold the 5/8" shaft.

Ream it to size and you're done in under half an hour.

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,