Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tnik tnik is offline

Default Reducing a 5/8" shaft

On 6/10/2012 10:58 PM, homesteader824 wrote:
I have a small honey extractor with a 5/8" shaft that spins. I would
like to turn this directly with an electric drill. I have a 1/2" drill
that I was able to jury rig a pulley to to run it, so I know it has
enough power. Is there any piece of hardware designed to mount on a
shaft and have a smaller shaft coming out of it? I saw something like
what I needed at Grainger's website, but they wanted over $60 for it--a
lot more than I want to spend. It seems there should be a cheaper
solution. I was looking for a more elegant solution than grinding the
shaft down with my dremel tool. BTW, I don't have a welder.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#61005K533

$36.21 clamp on shaft coupling. Then you just need a 1/2" shaft..