Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Grotty "digital" sound

On Jun 10, 1:51*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 09:09:29 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Musak in my pub was a CD juke-box , other than too loud at times, adequate
sound rendition. That packed up and they replaced it with an "internet"
juke-box pulling sound files off broadband. Amp speakers and wiring stayed
the same, just source changed. Now whatever sound level, the sound is
terrible, but not to the management of course. Reminds me of the vinyl days
and fluff accumulates around the needle and that fuzziness gets worse and
worse , but with that you just lift the pickup and blow off the fluff.
Hasten to add , not just me, a musician friend of mine is considering never
going in there again, What is the name for this distortion? presumably from
being compress and decompressed so sung words are unintelligible and
instrument timbre become indistinguishable from general mush.

Find a suitable MP3 player, Android phone, iPhone, or laptop that will
play MP3's. *Make an adapter to whatever amplifier is being used. Play
some of the same flavor of music for the management. *Many people
cannot recognize crappy audio when they hear it, but can tell the
difference between good audio and bad when there is an A/B comparison
available.

Such a test will also help expose whether the problem is the internet
radio or if someone trashed the amplifier during installation.

Good idea.

That also begs the question of why they're playing internet radio,
when a simple and cheap MP3 player would suffice as a replacement for
the CD juke box.

I assume that, like in the US, public eating and drinking places must
pay license fees for the music played there. Using a commercial
internet radio service would keep the pub owner out of trouble with
the copyright holders, with a minimum of effort on his part. Internet
jukeboxes also permit access to a wide variety of tunes, so that his
customers can play exactly what suits them.