Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default coax splitter replacement

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:59:42 -0400, "Jon"
wrote:

I am having persistent problems with coaxial cable connectivity with my
cable modem.

Make and model of cable modem? Most cable modems have internal
diagnostics that will provide you with the line levels. If the levels
are too low or vary, you will have problems.

It has to go through a splitter.

True. For cable TV, the bandwidth has to go down to 5 MHz. The upper
end is determined by the highest frequency used by your cable
provider, which you also didn't bother mentioning. 1000MHz is usually
sufficient unless you're piggy backing satellite TV, which requires
2000MHz.

I thought I got the best when I bought a
broadband splitter fro Radio Shack for $20.00, but it is no better than the
cheap model I have on it now.

I guess it's too much trouble to disclose the model number. If you
can't manage that, perhaps the number of ports on the splitter would
be helpful.
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032195
Incidentally, you overpaid. I pay about $2/ea for 2-1000MHz 2 port
splitters.

Typically I disconnect the cable, coat the wire with DeOxit and it works
again for a little while. Then in a few days it goes offline again.

It's unlikely to be the splitter, especially since your previous
splitter showed similar problems. Much more likely are crappy crimps
on the F connectors and RG-59a/u junk cable instead of RG-6a/u. If
the connector looks and feels like it's about to fall apart, it
probably has already done so internally.

I want to solder the son of a bitch and be finished with it for good.

Solder to what?

I can
solder all the center wires together, but what do I do about the shields?
(the screw-on conductor part). How do I connect all the shields together?

Don't bother. Inside your two unidentified splitters is a small
torroid transformer and a resistor. You need those between the center
pins. If you just connect everything in parallel, it won't work.

I don't think there's anything out there, but I thought I'd ask. My
solution is to cut the damned Radio Shack splitter apart with a Dremel tool
and go from there. I can strip the coax center wires back 3" and see if I
can stick them through far enough to solder them together.

Don't forget to wrap the whole thing in aluminum foil for shielding
and so that nobody will see the mess.

Hint: If your question is lacking numbers, you probably won't get a
usable answer.

Incidentally, you're header shows a peoplepc.com email address and an
Earthlink ISP, neither of which offer cable service. How did you
manage that?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D