Bernard Randall

Default Buying a table saw, have questions, new to woodworking

"GigaNews" wrote in message

I am just getting into this hobby, so please bear with me if I ask stupid
questions.

After getting married and buying a house, I find that I have a desire to

do
some of my own woodworking in addition to the myriad home improvement
projects I have going. I'd like to be able to make some furniture (baby's
room, maybe), maybe some cabinets, etc. Trouble is, the house isn't huge

and
I have some severe space limitations.

I'd like to have a table saw, but no matter how hard I try I can't find a
place where I could put a good woodworker's table saw or even a

contractor's
saw permanently. I really need to be able to fold the saw up and put it
away, which is a severe limitation.

I have been looking at the so-called "jobsite" saws from DeWalt, Bosch,

and
Ridgid. Are these saws even remotely useful for general woodworking, or is
their practical use limited to homebuilding? Assuming they are in fact
useful, I need some advice on which features will truly be important to me
and which ones I don;t really need to worry about. I have been unable to

see
a Bosch in person - stores in Maryland tend to favor tools that are

yellow -
so I am having to rely on internet info for that one (unless someone out
there knows where I can go look at one):

snip
Bill Cook _/)_

Though not my first choice, given the circumstances, have you considered a
Radial Arm Saw? I bought one of these as my first workshop saw as I had
exactly the same problems you face. With a TS you have to have free space
on all 4 sides, with a RAS you only need space on 2 sides.

I would definitly prefer the RAS over the jobsite offerings.

Bernard R