Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

wrote:
On Jun 9, 4:18 pm, "TomR" wrote:
. . . . , I am interested in the same question as the
OP
about whether it is okay to put a lock on this outside main cutoff.

From what you wrote, it seems like it is okay. Maybe also giving a
copy of
the key to the local fire department would be considered the
appropriate
protocol. But, if it is a small padlock, all local fire departments
carry
bolt cutters on their vehicles so cutting off the padlock in the
event of an
emergency would be no problem for them even without a key.

That's what I was thinking too. You don't necessarily need a strong
lock on it. Just a small lock will discourage 99.9% of the problem.
With nothing on it, any kid walking by can see it as an invitation for
mischef and just open it and flip it off.
With even a small padlock, they are unlikely to bother screwing
with it.

Also, regarding the fire department in a fire emergency, around here
they typically don't go looking for the disconnect. They go looking
for
the meter and pull it out. If the meter is outside and accessible,
then
I wouldn't worry about the fire dept not being able to cut power.

Interesting. I had not thought about the option of the fire department
pulling the meter to cut the power.

One reason that I am interested in this topic is that I have two properties
in the same town that I bought a few years ago. One is a 2-family duplex
with all separate utilities for each tenant and the other is a 3-family
triplex with all separate utilities for each tenant. After buying each one,
I had new electric service installed in both properties.

I had the 2-family duplex done first. For that one, which already had a
separate service panel in the basement for each tenant, the question came up
about whether both tenants had access to the basement. The electrician
explained that with new service being installed, the code required that each
tenant have access to their own service panel and the main service
disconnect. Since both tenants have access to the basement (and the service
panels) -- meaning they each have a key to the basement -- it was okay for
both service panels and main disconnects to be in the basement. As part of
the new service upgrade, the electric meters for each unit were moved to the
outside and mounted on the front wall of the property.

From the NEC citation that gfretwell posted I found this that refers to that
requirement:

230.70 (C) Access to Occupants. In a multiple-occupancy building,

each occupant shall have access to the occupant's service

disconnecting means.

Then, when I had new service installed in the 3-family triplex, I already
had service panels and a main disconnect in each of the three tenants'
apartments. With the new service, I was also adding a separate "house"
panel for the outside lighting etc. And, as before, I was having the
electric meters moved to the outside of the building where each service
entered the building. But, this time, because the property had 3 or more
dwelling units, the local officials required that the 3 tenant services and
1 house service each have an outside main service disconnect. And, in my
case, each of the 4 main service disconnects on the outside of the building
look similar to what the OP has on his building.

My original plan was for the main service disconnects to be inside the
building, right where each service came in, but inside a utility room that
only the property owner (me) could access with a key. Then, in each
apartment, they would each have their own existing service panel (actually a
subpanel), each with its own main cutoff breaker. But, that wasn't okay
with the local code officials, so all 4 main service disconnects are now on
the outside of the building.

I understand why they have that requirement (fire department and other
emergency shutoff capability etc), but it made me a little uncomfortable
since anyone walking by could (and still can) turn off the power to any or
all apartments at any time. All that I have on each outside service
disconnect box now is a short twisted piece of 12 gauge wire holding each
box closed (where a padlock could go). Seems a little strange to me, but
that's how it is. And, it has been 2 years of so since they were installed
and no one has bothered to tamper with the boxes since then. Nevertheless,
I am curious if it really would be okay for me to put small padlocks on each
one -- if any problems with tampering do seem to start up.