Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:18:01 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

(Are the codes available online?)

Is the National Electrical Code available online? -- Yes, he
http://www.garnernc.gov/Publications...cal%20Code.pdf

It is read-only and you can't print it out or cut and paste from the
document, but it is free, and this link does not require people to
set up a free account or log in.

You can save it (all 840 pages) on your hard drive as a PDF file.
Then, as you see below, you can copy and paste. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for pointing that out. That worked. I know that the free version
that is on the NFPA.org website doesn't allow cut and paste etc. I think
the only reason that they post a free read-only version is to comply with a
legal decision that stated that if they are going to create regulations that
apply to the public (if adopted by local governmental entities), they have
to make them available for free.

But, I guess that since the link that I posted is from the Garner, North
Carolina government website, they decided that they are entitled to post a
pdf copy the regulations that they adopted (2008 NEC) and make it both free
and able to be cut-and-pasted, printed, etc.

I ran into a similar problem recently when I was trying to cut and past a
page from the 2006 International Residential Code. The only free version
that I could find online was one that would not permit a cut and paste.