Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Grotty "digital" sound

On Jun 10, 1:17*pm, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Musak in my pub was a CD juke-box , other than too loud at times,

adequate
sound rendition. That packed up and they replaced it with an "internet"
juke-box pulling sound files off broadband. Amp speakers and wiring

stayed
the same, just source changed. Now whatever sound level, the sound is
terrible, but not to the management of course. Reminds me of the vinyl
days
and fluff accumulates around the needle and that fuzziness gets worse

and
worse , but with that you just lift the pickup and blow off the fluff.
Hasten to add , not just me, a musician friend of mine is considering
never
going in there again, What is the name for this distortion? presumably
from
being compress and decompressed so sung words are unintelligible and
instrument timbre become indistinguishable from general mush.

Its probably just a low bitrate mp3.

But even low bitrate mp3's shouldn't sound so bad in a noisy pub

environment
that people won't go there again.

Are you sure the speakers have not been damaged?
Or that the source is not now clipping a pre-amplifier/plugged into a

phono
pre-amp by mistake?

Gareth.

There are 4 speakers and each sounds rubbish. It coincided with
replacement
of the source, the mechanics of the CD deck gave up, but a mis-match
between
source and the existing amp would make sense. *As its consistently bad I
doubt it could be due to consistently bad internet material. There is a
long
run of cable between the box on the wall and the amp , can't help the
matter

How is the Internet connected to the amplifier? * I would guess something
amiss in this interface.

Gareth.- Hide quoted text -

Do younger folks also complain - I think their hearing may be so
damaged from those walkman type devices that they may not even realize
the distortion, or think it is intended.