Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default What options for trailer floor

On 6/9/2012 11:26 PM, Ignoramus9564 wrote:
We just stripped and sandblasted our trailer, it is 20k Cronkhite with
a 18 ft long bed. The wood on it was completely rotted and I am now
looking for good options. I want this trailer to haul forklifts,
machines etc.

What options do I have. 1/4 inch diamond plate is very expensive and
costs $10 per square foot. I would prefer something cheaper that would
last 5 years.

As others noted, I'd also recommend the wood option.

If have the local mill option, just be careful if it's "oak" to steer
away from red oak--it does not weather well at all--white oak will stand
up well. Around here, anyway, Doug fir is at a premium since it all
comes from the West Coast. W/ the housing slump it might not be as bad;
I've not tried pricing recently.

Don't know whether it's a local or not up there but if there's locust
(particularly black) it's not useful for much else but is extremely
tough and rot-resistant but because isn't much for typical lumber use
can be less expensive.