Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What options for trailer floor

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 23:26:58 -0500, Ignoramus9564
wrote:

We just stripped and sandblasted our trailer, it is 20k Cronkhite with
a 18 ft long bed. The wood on it was completely rotted and I am now
looking for good options. I want this trailer to haul forklifts,
machines etc.

What options do I have. 1/4 inch diamond plate is very expensive and
costs $10 per square foot. I would prefer something cheaper that would
last 5 years.

White oak, doug fir, jarrah, and purpleheart are 4 commonly used woods
in the past (around the world) in 2+ inch thicknesses. Ipe is another
possible. All are good at handling weather and are tough, with doug
fir having the shortest life, 5-7 years. Doug fir and white oak are
probably your best bet for cost.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand