Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default What options for trailer floor

On 6/9/2012 11:26 PM, Ignoramus9564 wrote:
We just stripped and sandblasted our trailer, it is 20k Cronkhite with
a 18 ft long bed. The wood on it was completely rotted and I am now
looking for good options. I want this trailer to haul forklifts,
machines etc.

What options do I have. 1/4 inch diamond plate is very expensive and
costs $10 per square foot. I would prefer something cheaper that would
last 5 years.

I would go back with wood. Steel decks are too slick and are prone to
dents and ripples caused by point loads. I've always used treated
yellow pine lumber and you will get well over 5 years. Trap both ends
of the planks under an angle iron rather than using screws at the ends
of the planks and don't get carried away with screws to allow the boards
to move. I use strips of 90# roofing stuck to the trailer iron with tar
where the boards cross sit to protect the trailer and the planks. How
thick was the original wood deck? I have seen some decks done with
bridge planks (+/- 3" thick). If you carry the same piece of equipment
repeatedly it may be worth putting some steel deck plates on top of the
wood deck where the wheels sit.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G