Mike

Default OT--You Know You Don't Live In California When...

Tom Veatch wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:30:15 -0700, "Bruce" wrote:

Southern California has very little to do with the majority of
the state.

snip
I agree with Bruce that Southern California (Los Angeles and parts south) is what an awful lot of people think of when the subject
of California arises. I know that I do. And I further agree that Northern California is a world apart from the southern part of the
state. There is much the same dichotomy in Louisiana. North of Baton Rouge is a totally different place than Southern Louisiana.
There is actually some dry ground up near Shreveport. I know there is, because I saw it! (Neither half of Louisiana is habitable
during the summer, but that's a different story.)

I was in Southern California (San Diego and Camp Pendleton) for a while before boarding a troop ship and heading for the setting
sun. It could very well be that association which causes me to say that I left nothing in California that I want to go back for.
But, at the same time, the most beautiful sight I've ever seen is that selfsame California - the Golden Gate Bridge and San
Francisco as seen from the deck of a returning troop ship. And, I'm sure that circumstance affected the beauty in the observation.
The point is that most frequently what people find in a place is what they bring with them.

I think that what it boils down to is that "Home" is the prettiest, best, ... , etc. regardless of where it might be physically
located. I've been in Wichita, Kansas for about the last 30 years. It is "Home" and, as a result, I'm sort of partial to this area.
Oh, no one will ever make any money running an Alpine Ski resort anywhere near here, and some folks might even think that the miles
and miles of nothing but miles and miles verge on being monotonous. Yet, there is beauty in the Flint Hills and the Gyp Hills and
the "Amber Waves of Grain", and everywhere else, in this state as in all states of the Union. But, you have to open your eyes and
look outside yourself to see it.

Tom,

Yours is the most intelligent post in this entire thread. You live
where you choose to live and, thusly, don't feel compelled to deride
others' choices of home. What matters is that your home is the best
place for *you*. As a native Midwesterner who has spent the last 19
years in SoCal, I found Bob's original posts to be pretty
entertaining. Many of the items about CA are funny because there is
some truth to them. But those things don't stop thousands of people
from moving here each year, so SoCal must have something to offer in
their eyes. Every American is entitled to live where they choose.
Those who spend their energy grumbling about how awful it is to live
elsewhere probably aren't very secure with their own choice.

Now, where do I turn in the soapbox?

Nah, you should keep that soapbox and use it more often.

Cheers,
Mike - N. SD County