Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 03:16:49 -0500,
wrote:

I have a friend who runs a business. Their main breaker is on the
outside of the building right along a busy back alley. Inside the
building directly behind that main breaker is the panel with all the
individual breakers. The box looks similar to this:
http://www.solarpanelstore.com/assets/ch_dpb222r.jpg
. . . . ,
Anyone know anything about this?
. . . . ,
Is this covered in the USA electrical codes? I dont have the book.
(Are the codes available online?)

Is the National Electrical Code available online? -- Yes, he
http://www.garnernc.gov/Publications...cal%20Code.pdf

It is read-only and you can't print it out or cut and paste from the
document, but it is free, and this link does not require people to set up a
free account or log in.

This comes under the definition of readily accessible. You are allowed
to put disconnects and overcurrent devices behind a locked door to
prevent access by unauthorized persons as long as all tenants have a
key.

The fire department is not an issue. If they want in, they will get
in.

The NFPA 70 handbook says "The definition of readily accessible does
not preclude the use of a locked door for service equipment or rooms
containing service equipment, provided those for whom ready access is
necessary have a key (or lock combination) available."

Thanks for that answer. I am interested in the same question as the OP
about whether it is okay to put a lock on this outside main cutoff.

From what you wrote, it seems like it is okay. Maybe also giving a copy of
the key to the local fire department would be considered the appropriate
protocol. But, if it is a small padlock, all local fire departments carry
bolt cutters on their vehicles so cutting off the padlock in the event of an
emergency would be no problem for them even without a key.

Do you happen to know where the citation in the NEC about this is located?
The free online version of the NEC is a little cumbersome to use so finding
the correct citation is sometimes a problem.

For those who posted that the contractor should not have put the main cutoff
outside, that is a requirement in some areas for some types of buildings
(commercial, multiple dwellings, etc). And, my understanding is that the
purpose is so that the local fire department can cut off the power in an
emergency.