Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim[_28_] Tim[_28_] is offline

Default Fence Posts

Gordon1111 wrote:
Hi there
I'm new to the forum so please bear with me and sorry if there's an
older thread about this.
I'm looking to build a fence between a neighbours wall and the side of
my house.
The fence will only 1.3mt wide, however, it'll be 2.9mt high due to the
difference in height between our properties etc.
I cant sink the posts due to drainage pipes that run along the side of
the house so i reckon i need to attach the posts to the brickwork.

The only fear i have is that i may get noise / vibration coming through
the fence into the house (living room is next to it), from my neighbours
gate slamming or kids kicking the ball against it.

Is there a way i can attach the post that's next to the house, to the
house in a way where i can try and avoid noise coming through?

Thanks

Um, I think you will have problems. We have an idiot neighbour whose side
gate (hinge side) was attached to a post planted next to our gable wall.

You might think that the banging of an unlatched gate would only
reverberate through the latching side but we regularly had to get up at
night to latch the fecking thing and it *wasn't* even attached to our wall.

In short, if it is attached to your wall, you will get transmitted
noise/vibration. It might not be a problem though if they are careful about
closing it.

Tim