Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Repair of the power board from an HP DeskJet, damaged by leakagefrom capacitors.

On 6/8/2012 6:23 PM, Peter Easthope wrote:
Hello again,

Photo here of the power board from an HP DeskJet printer.
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/DeskJetPowerBoard.jpg

This is the back of the board.
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/Des...rBoardBack.jpg

I removed the three medium sized capacitors in the upper
left and, not surprisingly, found residue with the appearance
of thinned molasses beneath them.

The photo of the back side shows where this residue has flowed
through some of the holes and corroded along traces.

I've never tackled anything this badly damaged. Cleaning
exposed surfaces with swabs and alcohol won't help the corrosion
in the holes and under the green polymer coating. What are the
recommendations? Is repair a realistic possibility? If so,
pointers about technique will help.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Looks like a trivial wiring problem to me.
Be glad it's not a 10 layer SMT board with tiny feedthrus everywhere.
Try a solvent like Simple Green as well as alcohol.
They dissolve different stuff.
Scrub it several times with each. Then take a wire brush to it.
You're gonna rewire the traces anyway.
Dry it well...then dry it some more.