Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The House the 50s Built

In article om,
Rob wrote:
It's a complicated picture. For example, average first time buyer
price-income ratios haven't changed that much over the last 30 years
(c.7 London, 4 everywhere else). And property prices, taking into
account wild swings, have 'only' risen by about inflation since the
mid-70s.

I bought this house in the mid '70s as a first time buyer. Had to scrape
together a larger than minimum deposit as my salary as a (fairly junior)
BBC sound engineer wouldn't cover a maximum mortgage. So sold the car and
borrowed some from parents.

The same sort of house in this street is now selling for 80 times what I
paid.

If you used the same multiplier to my salary, a BBC sound engineer would
now be earning approx a quarter million a year. I'd guess the actual
figure these days is more like 40 grand.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.