Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The House the 50s Built

In article
,
harry wrote:
On Jun 7, 9:33 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On C4 right now, will watch again.
Turns out to be more interesting than I thought it would be - only one
thing, it makes out that as soon as the new gadgets came out, they
become commonplace - what a load of ******** that is.

They were the playthings of the relatively wealthy in the 1950s.
It was not until the 1960s that all theses appliances became
commonplace.

We were anything but wealthy - but had a washing machine in the early
'50s. A basic single tub Hoover. Most of my pals parents had too.

People bought this stuff then (50s) in the (usually correct)
expectation that it would last a lifetime. (Often from the
electricity board.) They used to hire out stuff as well.

Hiring wasn't common in Scotland. People had more sense.

It was Hoover that first turned out the stuff for the masses. But it
was cheap ****. Back then I used to repair it.
The first automatic washing machine for the masses was was my
speciality.

The original single tub Hoovers were well made. Their first twin tub not.
We had an AEG twin tub. Which lasted about 30 years with a few minor
repairs. My mother didn't want an automatic as they cost so much more to
run.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.