Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damp caused by cement filled hole?

On Jun 7, 4:30*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 7, 3:51*pm, paul22 wrote:

Hoping someone could help. i have a problem with damp on my living room
wall about 8ft high. I have been wrongly advsed as to the route of the
problem. Firstly i had the wall dug out and replastered but the damp
came back. I then re-sealed surrounding windows and of late i had the
roof re-felted and drains replaced but the problem is as bad as ever. I
notice on the exterior wall that there was some kind of vent and i
believe that this has simply been filled with cement. Is it possible
that this could be the route of the damp. The exterior wall is red
brick. Any help or advice greatfully received!

--
paul22

Maybe there's a language issue here, so let me ask some questions...

"i have a problem with damp on my living room wall about 8ft high"

Do you mean a "damp spot", as in the wall is wet?

"i had the wall dug out and replastered but the damp came back."

By "dug out" do you mean stripped back to the studs? If so, what was
observed while the wall was open?

By "replastered" do you really mean that they used plaster and not
drywall?

"I then re-sealed surrounding windows and of late i had the roof
re-felted and drains replaced"

How did you "re-seal surrounding windows" and where are they located
with respect to the damp (spot?)?

What do you mean by you "had the roof re-felted"?

Felt paper is typically under the shingles and you can't just replace
the felt.

What do you mean by you had the "drains replaced"? *Do you mean the
gutters and downspouts?

"on the exterior wall there was some kind of vent and i believe
that this has simply been filled with cement"

Where is this "vent" in relation to the damp (spot?)?

Why was it filled with cement?

And add to the list what kind of construction
this is, from outside to inside, number of stories, type of roof, etc.