Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need to refinish a mahogany front entry door

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 11:52:01 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/7/2012 10:19 AM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 06/07/2012 08:16 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 6/7/2012 6:53 AM, Doug wrote:
All,

Need to refinish my mahogany front entry door - would like to
undertake this myself,
however not clear this would be the best course of action.

Understand that finishing in place is not practical and I do not have
a spare door to put
in place while the door is off being refinished.

Spraying a large surface with multiple coasts of spar varnish in the
house is also not a
good idea.

Found a local shop that does this work - they remove your door to
their shop for 7-10
days, and install a temporary door by screwing it to the door jam.

While that may be a secure way to install the door - am not receptive
to having 6 screw
holes left in the door frame.

Call me dense, but it's not really a temporary "door" if it's screwed to
the jamb, is it? I guess in order to get in and out of the house you
have to use an alternate door for that 7-10 days? Wouldn't it be
possible for them to hang a temporary door off the existing hinges along
with your handle and lock hardware so you could actually *use* the
thing, and so that you wouldn't have to repair any damage to the jamb
afterwords? Doesn't seem that difficult to me...

Well, if all the hinge/latch spacing/types were standard...

And more likely the weather strip at the bottom of the door and
perimeter of the door will not mate properly.

cut plywood to fit the door opening- glue blocks on inside to attach
hinge and latch. Not an uncommon solution after break-in damage, or
when a new door needs to be ordered due to other damage.