Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Need to refinish a mahogany front entry door

"Doug" wrote in message
All,

Need to refinish my mahogany front entry door - would like to undertake
this myself,
however not clear this would be the best course of action.

Understand that finishing in place is not practical and I do not have a
spare door to put
in place while the door is off being refinished.

Spraying a large surface with multiple coasts of spar varnish in the house
is also not a
good idea.

Found a local shop that does this work - they remove your door to their
shop for 7-10
days, and install a temporary door by screwing it to the door jam.

While that may be a secure way to install the door - am not receptive to
having 6 screw
holes left in the door frame.

I take it that they are essentially installing a pre-hung door unit sized to
fit within the existing jamb....? If so, and filling is not acceptable,
perhaps the door stops could be removed, the temporary jamb screwed into the
area behind the stops, and the stops replaced after the door is reinstalled.
That way the new holes would be concealed by the stops.

Alternatively, I'd think it wouldn't be hard to secure the temporary door
from the inside with the frame up against the existing stops with screws
into the jambs in the area covered by the door when it's closed. Filling
there wouldn't be noticeable.

What is the preferred method for installing a kick plate - glued, screwed,
or both?

Is the kick plate installed before the finish is applied?

Screwed on after refinishing.

John