Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default JVC HR-S9600U VHS VCR won't play/wind

There are a couple of potential causes for this:

1) The heads are not spinning (motor problem or power supply)
2) The mode switch is not correct (may be dirty/corroded)
3) Belts are slipping

Without seeing the actual unit, it is difficult to determine the exact
problem. Given that this unit has been unused for a long time, I'd look at
the belts initially and clean the mode switrch. If you can do this, post
any progress made and perhaps we can provide additional guidance.

Those sound like simple, straightforward things to look at. Thanks.