Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to downlighters in insulated flat roof .

Colin Green wrote:

Hi,

Looking for some alternative lighting solutions for a loft conversion.

- Loft conversion with large dormer with a flat roof.
- Flat roof is insulated with celotex [equivalent] between the joists and
another 50mm fixed below the joists (so 150mm or so of celotext in
total).

For lighting my initial instinct was to go with downlighters (spotlights)
to make best use of the limited ceiling height, but having looked into it
I'd much prefer to not to have large holes cut into the insulation
(because of resulting poorer insulation, compromised moisture barrier,
possible contravention of regs, etc.).

What lighting alternatives are available? I'm thinking maybe some kind of
low profile light fittings around the edges of the ceilings, I figure if
the light is cast across the ceiling then it will reflect off and
illuminate the whole room reasonably well. I want to avoid having
protruding light fittings (even low profile) in the centre of the ceilings
as there is already limited headroom and therefore I think they would just
be annoying.

Thoughts? (Links to actual fitting welcome!)

Colin.

http://www.mygreenlighting.co.uk/fur...cent/1590.html

I've used 6 for bay window lighting (2 per bay) with 13W lamps fitted.

Pros:
Cheap fitting
Low profile
Look smart
Good diffuse light with wide dispersion angle

Cons:
GX53 lamps - namely expensive and very slow start (2-3 mins to full
brightness because the tube is folded to buggery)

The cons are OK for me as these lights will tend to be on or off for long
periods rather than on/off for short periods. I'm hoping for a reasonable
lamp life.

There are a fair few LED GX53s coming which would solve the startup time but
will also be expensive.

These fittings can take the cable out the side or out the rear.

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Watts