View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Emiliano Molina

Default making a flat surface

Hi all, this is a followup post to one I made a few months ago asking where to buy cheap timber in Melbourne, Australia.

The aim is to build a workbench using only hand tools. In a fit of masochism, I decided to make this my first woodworking project.

I ended up buying recycled timber. The base is assembled and I am very happy with the results. The legs are old fencing stumps that came up quite nicely when planed, scraped and shellaced. Its modeled after the Kirby Bench featured in 'The Workbench Book'.

The top will also be built from recycled timbers. Laminated from six 66 inch boards for a total width of 30 inches.

I got quite a bit of experience with making flat and square surfaces when making the base but nothing as long as 66 inches.

What I have to do now is create a reference surface (which will be resting on the base) on each of the six boards that will make up the top and then two flat, straight surfaces on each side of that for gluing up. I will plane the top flat after gluing so the 'top' surface will not be as important. I would never get it perfect enough before gluing anyway.

I know I can make a flat surface on these long boards using a straight edge and winding sticks. I also know that using my square I can them make the sides straight to the reference surface. I've done all this before when making the base.

I also know that this will take a very long time.

I have given it some thought and I can't think of any shortcuts. Its very important that at least the sides of the boards will be flat so that there is a good gluing surface.

What I would like to know is if there are any methods that could make this process easier, keeping in mind that I am only using hand tools and only have a 10 inch plane.

In case its important to your reply the boards that will make the top are all over 66 inches long (I will cut the sides straight and to measure after gluing), 3 inches high and of the following widths, 3.5, 3.5, 8, 8, 3.5, 3.5.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!