Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Alternatives to downlighters in insulated flat roof .

On 06/06/2012 22:39, Colin Green wrote:
Hi,

Looking for some alternative lighting solutions for a loft conversion.

- Loft conversion with large dormer with a flat roof.
- Flat roof is insulated with celotex [equivalent] between the joists and another 50mm fixed below the joists (so 150mm or so of celotext in total).

For lighting my initial instinct was to go with downlighters (spotlights) to make best use of the limited ceiling height, but having looked into it I'd much prefer to not to have large holes cut into the insulation (because of resulting poorer insulation, compromised moisture barrier, possible contravention of regs, etc.).

What lighting alternatives are available? I'm thinking maybe some kind of low profile light fittings around the edges of the ceilings, I figure if the light is cast across the ceiling then it will reflect off and illuminate the whole room reasonably well. I want to avoid having protruding light fittings (even low profile) in the centre of the ceilings as there is already limited headroom and therefore I think they would just be annoying.

Thoughts? (Links to actual fitting welcome!)

Colin.

I have a living room with a low ceiling, and I light that using
uplighters on the walls. Standard Wickes ceramic ones, using CFLs.