Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Apprentice bollockings for this week

hugh wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
soup wrote:
On 03/06/2012 17:21, ARWadsworth wrote:

I set the apprentices tasks and challenges that mean they have
to think for themselves instead of me just wiping their arses.

We had a lecturer like that his favourite saying was "I am not a
teacher, I facilitate your learning" His idea of lectures (when
he did lecture) was to give out "you must know sheets" then tell
us to learn things[1], from Google and other computer sources (
we were studying computer networking), whilst he "played" on his
computer whilst listening to Classic FM. That approach does not
engender feelings of I have PROPERLY learned how to do that It
just produces I hate that *&^% feelings. There must be a middle
road between them doing it all themselves and "wiping their
arses".

That is what I hope I provide. I ask them to work out their own
solution to a problem and then tell me what it is. If it is a
workable solution I might let them do it before showing them a
better way (depending on how wrong or destructive their solution
is). And sometimes they come up with a better solution than mine. I
will listen to them.

Ah, you're just a big pussycat really, underneath it all.

Have you seen my claws?

--
Adam