Posted to uk.d-i-y
hugh hugh is offline

Default Apprentice bollockings for this week

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
soup wrote:
On 03/06/2012 17:21, ARWadsworth wrote:

I set the apprentices tasks and challenges that mean they have to
think for themselves instead of me just wiping their arses.

We had a lecturer like that his favourite saying was "I am not a
teacher, I facilitate your learning" His idea of lectures (when he did
lecture) was to give out "you must know sheets" then tell us to learn
things[1], from Google and other computer sources ( we were studying
computer networking), whilst he "played" on his computer whilst
listening to Classic FM. That approach does not engender feelings of
I have PROPERLY learned how to do that It just produces I hate that
*&^% feelings. There must be a middle road between them doing it all
themselves and "wiping their arses".

That is what I hope I provide. I ask them to work out their own solution to
a problem and then tell me what it is. If it is a workable solution I might
let them do it before showing them a better way (depending on how wrong or
destructive their solution is). And sometimes they come up with a better
solution than mine. I will listen to them.

Ah, you're just a big pussycat really, underneath it all.
--
hugh