Posted to alt.home.repair
Elle[_2_] Elle[_2_] is offline

Default Removing Old Latex Paint from Concrete Floor

On Jun 5, 6:28*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
I first tried paint stripper but that left horrible faint residues.

Then accidently stumbled on using a quaternary compound used at health
and veterinarian clinics to santize betwen patients. Made by Brulins
out of Indiana, sole in janitorial suppliers, called Unicide. We use
Unicide 256 that is supposed to be cut 256:1 so 1oz makes a gallon
equal in killing power to a gallon of bleach. *Only cut around 16-20:1
and spray on latex, and it peels right up! Plus it's soapy and cleans
as you go! When done all splatters gone and surface looks like it's
been washed, which it has.

I am trying to locate Unicide 256 where I live. Brulin has a web site
at brulin.com with contact info so I could maybe locate a distributor
where I am.

The MSDS for Unicide 256 may be found easily via a google search. It
appears the active ingredient of Unicide 256 is various forms of
ammonium chloride. I caution folks about using home recipes. Remember
what bleach and ammonia mixed together produce, for one. The fumes can
severely burn a person's lungs.

Regarding my "trick" pouring pools of liquid latex onto the old,
adhered latex on the concrete floor: Best results are with small
pools, no more than six-inch diameter, and a low humidity. I am in the
southwest. I do not know that this trick will work as well in the
humid Midwest.

Oren, I am working on that youtube video.