Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Two barrels, linked at bottom by a hose, with different water heights?

Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/5/2012 10:22 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/5/2012 8:16 AM, dgk wrote:
It's too long since I took physics but I thought that the height
would be equal. One is an actual rainbarrel, with faucet already
installed:
http://www.rainbarrelstorage.com/goo...40-p-7851.html

I paid a lot less than that but still more than a barrel should cost
even though it comes with a faucet already installed. It filled up
so fast that I figured I'd add another barrel to double the
capacity. I took an old Rubbermaid plastic garbage can, installed a
faucet near the bottom, used a Y adapter on each faucet, and a
female-female hose to link the two barrels, leaving one tap
available on each one for a hose. Both barrels are raised on
cinderblocks to the same height. Once I turned on the connecting hose,
the water did flow from the
original one to the Rubbermaid, but stopped before the water heights
equalized. I checked the connection but there was no blockage. I
walked away puzzled.

It rained some yesterday, and both barrels are much fuller, but
again, the water heights are not identical.

So I guess the height of water in two dissimilar barrels, connected
by a hose, will not be the same but will vary depending on the
diameter or width of the barrels? Not what I remember, but that
wouldn't be the first time.

if they are not the same diameter, the levels will not be the same.

strike that. I am thinking of something else. (don't know what).

Neither does anyone else

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...