Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two barrels, linked at bottom by a hose, with different water heights?

On Jun 5, 9:27*am, dgk wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:08:12 -0500, dpb wrote:
On 6/5/2012 8:16 AM, dgk wrote:

... One is an actual rainbarrel, with faucet already installed:

... I figured I'd add another barrel to double the capacity. I
took an old Rubbermaid plastic garbage can, installed a faucet near
the bottom, used a Y adapter on each faucet, and a female-female hose
to link the two barrels, leaving one tap available on each one for a
hose. Both barrels are raised on cinderblocks to the same height.

Once I turned on the connecting hose, the water did flow from the
original one to the Rubbermaid, but stopped before the water heights
equalized. I checked the connection but there was no blockage. I
walked away puzzled.

It rained some yesterday, and both barrels are much fuller, but again,
the water heights are not identical.

Eventually, it should definitely reach the same level. *Since the one
only I presume is connected to the downspout the differential filling
will be pronounced in its favor and apparently there's sufficient
pressure drop/friction loss to add a significant head on the one side
relative to the other. *But, that's a dynamic loss that eventually
gravity equal pressure external should overcome and the levels will
equalize. *Unless there's a cover that's building a pressure dome over
one side or other interfering issue.

There's a wikipedia article on water columns I just looked at to refer
you to altho I forgot to copy the link, sorry, it wasn't hard to find...

I was really puzzled because I would have bet that they'd end up the
same height. Maybe they will equalize after some time.- Hide quoted text -

You have to make sure the ground itself is reeally level!!!