Posted to alt.home.repair
frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

I will be very careful not to prime too much next time, though the
instructions on the Homelite clearly say "10 times." Unlike the kid, I
won't be doing it twice (2X10.) But what do you do when you have left
the trimmer off for just a while, say an hour, and it won't start on
the first pull? Do you then guess and prime it, say, 5 times? Is there
a rule of thumb for varying engine-off times?

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 15:12:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've done the "spark plug out, yank the cord" on four strokes. Can't say as
I've tried it on two stroke. But, thanks for the field report.

The one time I tried to help out, a 10 or 11 year old boy who had a two
stroke scooter. He would push the primer 10 to 20 times, and wonder why it
didn't start. I told him one or two times was enough. I got a wrench, pulled
the spark plug, and pulled the cord to dry out the cylinder a bit. Put the
spark plug back in. Before I could do much anything else, he was pushing the
primer button 1.04 ^9 times, and flooded the thing again.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

believe me, it works and is not dangerous. I've done it thousands of
times in the course of my job. (I worked at a lawn and landscape place
with hundreds of pieces of two stroke equip) And the fuel mix is passed
from the crankcase during rope pulling just as it would be during normal
operation. And the fuel mix being pulled through is minimal and of the
proper proportion if the choke is open.