Posted to alt.home.repair
Chip C Chip C is offline

Default Two barrels, linked at bottom by a hose, with different water heights?

On Jun 5, 8:16*am, dgk wrote:
It's too long since I took physics but I thought that the height would
be equal. One is an actual rainbarrel, with faucet already installed:

http://www.rainbarrelstorage.com/goo...-gallon-rain-b...

I paid a lot less than that but still more than a barrel should cost
even though it comes with a faucet already installed. It filled up so
fast that I figured I'd add another barrel to double the capacity. I
took an old Rubbermaid plastic garbage can, installed a faucet near
the bottom, used a Y adapter on each faucet, and a female-female hose
to link the two barrels, leaving one tap available on each one for a
hose. Both barrels are raised on cinderblocks to the same height.

Once I turned on the connecting hose, the water did flow from the
original one to the Rubbermaid, but stopped before the water heights
equalized. I checked the connection but there was no blockage. I
walked away puzzled.

It rained some yesterday, and both barrels are much fuller, but again,
the water heights are not identical.

So I guess the height of water in two dissimilar barrels, connected by
a hose, will not be the same but will vary depending on the diameter
or width of the barrels? Not what I remember, but that wouldn't be the
first time.

How different are the water levels?

And how are you measuring it? The barrels are some distance apart,
probably one's taller than the other; you sure it's not a trick of the
eye?

Chip C
Toronto