Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus
On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 21:41:03 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIngnxr-w4

That is amazing. Using water on a fire that is in effect a mobile bomb?.

Very tiny fuel tank on those.

Even so that fire took hold very quickly..

Whyever don't they have an airport style foam tender alongside the
track?.

Didn't you see it? Got there too late, in any case.

Yes at the 3:00 mins point ..

And permitting marshals to fight the fire using only normal i.e. non
fireproof clothing?...

That's a valid point, but waiting around while Nomex-clad marshals
turn up might be a bit on the long side. Given that the majority of
marshals are volunteers, and all different shapes and sizes, who would
provide the Nomex? I would hope that the Pod and other venues would
have sufficient funds to Nomex-equip all of its marshalling staff, but
I wouldn't hold my breath. The alternative is for all marshals to buy
their own kit and that would be quite prohibitive for many of them.

Well I just wonder what the liability issues are even if they are
volunteers. I work in an organisation that has volunteers but it seemed
according to the H&S person we spoke with they are no different to paid
staff...

So a Marshall gets seriously injured or burnt and sues Santa pod raceway
etc and their insurer says that did they have the correct PPE for that
occasion and they didn't, they'll I suppose are going to what to know
why?.. Y/N?...
--
Tony Sayer