Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Impact driver Drill/Driver Kits

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in :

I noticed that Menards has this impact driver kit on sale for $229.
Bosch 26618-01 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Impact Drill/Driver Kit

It's practically like getting 2 drills in one.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-26618-01...Impact/dp/B003
HIWR12/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=ICST0EHPTYQG R&colid=2VMX7X
EQ4VJA4

It comes with 2 batteries (overkill for me).

Then there is the corded model: Makita 6952.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6952-2-...00140B4A/ref=w
l_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HZCJYS6OFWEZ&co lid=2VMX7XEQ4VJA4

From what I understand, the only corded impact driver available.

A week ago, I could not even explain why I might want an "impact
driver"!

Being the big spender, I came home from Menards with Bosch 24-tooth 7
1/4" "Framing" blade to try out, and the free (after rebate) T-shirt!
: )

Now, who was it who is to blame for getting me started learning about
"impact drivers"? : )

Bill

We're good at spending everyone else's money here, and most people
generally are happy with the new tool (but not necessarily the
expendature.) *g*

I'd suggest looking for a two-tool kit. That way, you can chuck a drill
bit in one and a driver bit in the other and just swap tools. It really
is an efficient way to work.

Yes, I've been doing a lot of swapping of 3 bits between 2 drills (one a
real cheapy), and I'm convinced that an extra drill wouldn't go to
waste! I learned the same principle a while back for routers.

Cheers,
Bill

One thing to watch out for is sometimes the
kits have the same drill or driver as the tool alone but it's only a few
dollars more than just the tool.

You do need two batteries. The battery will die just when there's 1 or 2
screws left to drive to finish the project. Two batteries lets you
finish the project. (I don't care if you have a 5 minute charger,
swapping batteries between drill/driver is faster.)

Puckdropper