Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default DVD burner screwed by 2nd burner added to system

On Jun 3, 4:01*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
After trying a firmware update for the LG GH22NP20 ...
The file executes in regular environment,

What I meant to say is the file executes in a normal *windows*
environment

and apparently didn't
screw anything up, and did make a few changes, but nothing like
gettring the drive back to normal. ... Guess there's not much point
in putting this in a different machine to see if it behaves differently,
I feel like the drive itself is what suffered any changes that occurred..

As the firmware update presumably completely overwrites the original
firmware, you have disproved my theory that the firmware coincidentally
failed.

Yeah, I guess whatever got changed is not gonna be recoverable, at
least not on the DIY level.

Nevertheless... You should still test the drive in another machine. That's
the only way to know "fer shur" where the problem lies.

Ok, just got through changing drives around and the LG behaves the
same on the different system, ie,
it plays dvd-rom discs but doesn't recognize dvd-r videos as
playable. I reinstalled the Lite-On drive in the systen the LG had
been in and it works as it did before, which is to say, normally in
all aspects, so I'm a little relieved that I don't have to try
repairing either the system or the burning software.

Once I try updating the firmware on a couple nonworking drives that
are lying around (BTW, thanks for that link Jeff) I guess I'll be
caught up on this problem.