Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default American Flyer 300 engine problems

wrote in message
On Jun 3, 9:18 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

Well you see the commutator is not round in the conventional sense,
it's flat with three sort of "pie" shaped segments on the back of the
armature. So the brush surfaces are flat. Lenny

I've tried and tried but can't imagine how that actually works.

Gareth.

If the commutator was a cotton reel, I guess he's saying that the contact
segments are where the label would be on the end, not where the cotton
would
be as in a conventional motor. Thus there are three segments in a flat
'pie'
configuration, presumably with the motor shaft through the middle, and a
brush either side, parallel to the shaft. I'm sure that I have seen this
somewhere on a motor over here.

As to the arcing at the brush contact surface, I guess some C across the
brushgear would help - much like the 'condenser' across the points in an
old
Kettering ignition system. Also, are the gaps between the commutator
segments clean ? When I used to 'service' model motors many years back, I
always used to 'rake out' the gaps with the tip of a dressmaker's pin,
and
also smooth the edges of the segments so that they were slightly rounded,
rather than a sharp 90 degree knife edge. If the contact area has been
subjected to emery paper treatment, the segment edges might well be quite
sharp.

Arfa

The engine is from the late 40's You can see a picture of the armature
at the site below. The commutator segments are not visible in the
picture but you can get the idea. They are on the end of the armature
with the shorter shaft. Lenny
http://www.rfgco.com/tips.html?catal...ture_help.html

Thanks Lenny and Arfa, all is now clear.

Gareth.