Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default The Ikea (or maybe Lego) House

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 08:42:53 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Jun 3, 7:02 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"...House Arc, a 150-square-foot structure of hollow steel tubes.
Not only can the 3,000-pound modular home withstand high winds, it
can also be boxed into a 120 cubic-foot (i.e., 5x6x4) freight
container and shipped off to its next destination."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/house-...signed-1053002...

How is a 150 sq ft reusable house that costs $55,000
any better than a FEMA trailer ?

If you'll remember that FEMA is part of the US government, I think
you've answered your own question.

Besides needing tools to assemble (which may not
be readily available in a disaster area immediately
after the disaster) being very expensive and large
in freight volume compared to tents and cots...

Include the tools.

This sounds like it is not a first line response item,
more of an intermediate plan for after things in a
disaster area have been stabilized as a stop-gap
measure while those displaced by the event are
waiting for the permanent housing to be rebuilt...

You think people will be allowed to sleep in tents?

They were allowed to sleep in tents during the Israelite exodus from Egypt
up to the present-day Occupy movement. So I guess it's possible.