Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default The creek is drowning you guys--Bill's project update

tiredofspam wrote:
Bill here is my workbench
http://imgur.com/a/YbWt2#0

You will see the current and previous workbenches.
Let me explain the current...
Big ass stretchers. I do a lot of hand planing and I didn't want racking.

Very nice looking work. I will similarly place my stetchers, but
(unfortunately) with screws this time. Thank you for the lesson!

Bill

I see benches as someone provided a link to where the stretcher is on
the top and bottom. That serves no purpose and will rack like crazy.

My stretchers on the ends are big ass dovetails and through mortise and
tenon with wedges.

The big stretchers that on the long sides are made to prevent racking.
And so far I have yet to move this bench the slightest even with heavy
planing. I have clamp space on the top and this bench weighs over
300lbs... it's not going anywhere.

Top: Maple
Legs and stretchers Beech with walnut wedges.

On 6/3/2012 4:22 AM, Bill wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
Bill I agree with everyone else. The legs are too close together.
I also believe that your stretcher underneath needs to come out on the
side toward your work side. Since you have indicated you are using ply
for the top, your support should go close to the edge, but allow
yourself some clamp space. This will support your work better at the
edge if you wish to hammer a nail into something.

Also With that height, I would use at least 2x6 , maybe a 2x8 stretcher
between your legs (length wise) to prevent racking. You can do so along
the short side too. I would mortise it, but given your abilities, you
might try barrel bolts and bolting them. Or if you have a router
creating a pocket in the stretcher for a nut and bolting them.

After I make a bench I'll practice my joinery. Unfortunately I can't use
plywood due to sensitivity--at least not new stuff. This is not really
intended to be a heavy duty bench. That's another project. But if I get
racking, I will upgrade to a heavier stretcher as you suggested. Thank
you.

Bill

Bill you sound like the generation X kids that need encouragement for
everything they do like even getting up in the morning. Wow great that
you got up... Wow it's great that you screwed four legs on...

How's that Bill? Am I getting better at encouragement?

On 6/2/2012 4:25 AM, Bill wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
Bill, thats ridiculous.

I can cut a pretty good square using my foot to keep the 2x4 off the
ground... It's not hard.

Now get to work..

Thank you for the encouragement! : )

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Cheers,
Bill