Posted to uk.d-i-y
MarkG[_3_] MarkG[_3_] is offline

Default OT Windows 7 and Email Client

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:13:58 +0100, DavidM
wrote:

Mail client.
I currently use Outlook Express, which isn't available on W7, so I
need an alternative. Outlook is a possible alternative but has many
features I'll never use (and will cost). Windows Live mail may do the
job but I played with early versions and wasn't impressed with it's
reliability - it may be ok now.

Mandatory requirements a support POP/SMTP and IMAP from multiple
email providers; allow two or more email accounts for different users
of PC with privacy; allow downloaded email to be left on the providers
server (where supported eg Hotmail), allow at least basic filtering to
direct incoming mail to different folder, support dlists or address
groups.

Desire able: allow import of old emails from OE (the wife and I have
quite a lot of emails that we need to retain and have access to; allow
import of addresses from OE address book.

Any advice gratefully received (but I'm not going the Unix route, so
please don't waste your time suggesting this option, though I know
that some prefer it!).

Opera will do all this, it's a fine browser too, faster and more feature
complete than Chrome, and without the bloat of Firefox, and free. The
best of all worlds.

Opera have always been very "pro web standards" and that used to hurt
them, when websites used to just code for IE. Both Chrome and Opera (and
to a lesser degree Firefox) adhere to web standards too, Opera is no
longer at a disadvantage that it used to be.

Their soon to be released Opera 12 is looking REALLY good and well worth
checking out. The mail client is a "views" based, rather than more
simplistic but limiting folder based. For example, you can tag family
holiday emails in both "Family" and "Holiday" views without duplication,
something folders don't allow. Oh, and it's also a newsgroup reader and
IRC client too, along with a RSS reader. And only a 10MB download (1/3rd
the size of the browser-only Chrome)

Browser:
http://www.opera.com/browser/features/

Mail: